Date: 4/10/24 9:17 am
From: Jeremy Cohen <jeremy3cohen...>
Subject: Re: Eclipse Birding observations
I was at Holla Bend NWR, where the birds noticeably quieted down during
totality and the activity picked back up after, even moreso than
pre-totality.

Haikubox analyzed data from their audio recording units across the country,
100 or so were within the totality zone. It showed a 60% decline in bird
calls for these units relative to before and after totality on April 8th.
They are going to follow up by looking at specific regions and species.

[image: unnamed.png]

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 10:43 AM Anita Schnee <
<000003224553d416-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> I was on a hillside in Pindall, Searcy County. The moment my little group
> got to the top of the hill, before the event began, we were heralded by an
> eastern meadowlark. As coolness rose, vultures we saw wheeling far away
> vanished. I tracked one to roost in a tree.
>
> And then -- coolness, of the actual and metaphorical kind, peaked. What an
> experience.
>
> (We will not discuss the traffic afterwards, even though I waited an hour
> and a half before setting out. It was awful, awful, awful. But everybody on
> the road -- all half-billion of them -- seemed well behaved and there were
> no accidents. So there was that.)
>

> ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
>
> Anita Schnee
>
> http://catself.wordpress.com
> http://afriqueaya.org
>
> <http://afriqueaya.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/afriqueaya_eplogo.jpg>
>
> ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
>

> On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 07:37:30 AM CDT, Adam Schaffer <
> <000000135bd342dd-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>

> At Lake Norfork near Mountain Home we stayed largely engrossed by the
> eclipse rather than the birds, though the cessation of birdsong was
> noticeable to all. Shortly before totality we did have our FOS White-eyed
> Vireo and shortly after totality a large flock of pelicans flew past.
> Maybe they were just staying for the day and decided a day had come and
> gone.
>
> Adam Schaffer
>
> On Tuesday, April 9, 2024 at 06:32:37 PM CDT, Anderson, Leif - FS, AR <
> <000002b0bc8b0106-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>

> Greetings all,
>
> The last 3 days I ‘ve had the pleasure of being a volunteer for some neat
> bioacoustic eclipse research. Led by Douglas Barron and his undergrad
> student Colton Morris, from AR Tech University.
>

> I had 3 interesting bird observations.
>
> During the partial portion of the eclipse 2 White-throated Sparrows
> stopped feeding/calling/singing and flew up into a Cedar bush. They stayed
> on the “roost” until after totality then resumed their normal feeding
> behavior.
>

> The end of totality “Dawn chorus” at 1:54pm was just as good as our normal
> dawn chorus.
>

> About 4 min into totality a Barred Owl started calling.
>

> Holla Bend NWR hosted about 800 eclipse visitors, many of whom were
> birders/ nature lovers from all over the country, Canada and even a birding
> family from the Czech Republic.
>

> , Leif
>

> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely
> for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message
> or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law
> and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you
> have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete
> the email immediately.

Jeremy Cohen, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist
Yale Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
*Website <http://www.jeremycohenecologist.com> *●* Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=x2WBX-EAAAAJ>*
*Wildlife Photography <https://www.flickr.com/photos/tm45/>*

or click the following link: