Date: 4/8/24 6:24 pm
From: Peter Metropulos <pjmetrop...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
TROPICAL KINGBIRD:  Historical breeding season record.
During the winter of 1976-77, two TROPICAL KINGBIRDS were present at North Lake in Golden Gate Park. I was attending SF State at the time so I frequently birded GGPark.I observed one of these birds as late as May 27. A friend of mine who was in my Ornithology class told me he saw the kingbird on June 4 !

PS:  I need to dust off my old SF field notes & get them into the archives.

Peter Metropulos
On Monday, April 8, 2024 at 05:28:56 PM PDT, Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> wrote:

At the Sutro Baths today, a flock of roughly 280 Elegant Terns was dominating a feeding frenzy out in the GG channel.  This was in addition to many more Elegants flying in and out simultaneously nearer to my watch point.  In 28 years of covering this site, I can’t recall ever seeing a single flock beyond double digits, so the relatively new spring presence of the species here has become quite phenomenal.At North Lake, I looked up toward a very vocal Red-shouldered Hawk in flight and saw the Tropical Kingbird attacking it, before returning to a perch on the southern island.  This kingbird has already shown amazing fidelity to the area since sometime last year, but does the territorial behavior mean that it will stay around for the breeding season?  A rhetorical question for now.Brian Fitch