Date: 4/8/24 5:28 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
At the Sutro Baths today, a flock of roughly 280 Elegant Terns was
dominating a feeding frenzy out in the GG channel. This was in addition to
many more Elegants flying in and out simultaneously nearer to my watch
point. In 28 years of covering this site, I can’t recall ever seeing a
single flock beyond double digits, so the relatively new spring presence of
the species here has become quite phenomenal.
At North Lake, I looked up toward a very vocal Red-shouldered Hawk in
flight and saw the Tropical Kingbird attacking it, before returning to a
perch on the southern island. This kingbird has already shown amazing
fidelity to the area since sometime last year, but does the territorial
behavior mean that it will stay around for the breeding season? A
rhetorical question for now.
Brian Fitch