Date: 4/6/24 11:21 am
From: B B via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Galapagos Info
Thanks Penny, we will look into that company.  This is a trip with kids (old non-birding kids) so some creature comforts may be needed.  Comparing size of ships and length of stay are factors.  Definitely don't want or need a giant ship but how small is too small.  Everyone who has gone raves...
Blair
On Saturday, April 6, 2024 at 11:02:38 AM PDT, PENNY & DAVID KOYAMA via Tweeters <tweeters...> wrote:

Blair, Way back in the day (2004) David and I went to the Galapagos with a local company, ecoventura.  I checked and they are still going strong.  Their ships were built for cruising in the islands, so you are not on a converted fishing boat, or a big cruise ship.  Each of their ships holds 20 people and about 11 staff.  They stayed on mainland time, so they were at each stop an hour before any other boat.  You don't need a guide, as all of the boats are required to have National Park Guides on board and they know everything, including birds.  We had 2 guides, and always broke into 2 groups going in opposite directions.  Their food was great and they had an upper deck with both exposed and shaded lounge chairs.  And they supplied wetsuits, so we shorkeled every day.   Good time to go is after the Waved Albatross are in--we went in July. You won't see them until they come in from Anarctica to nest.  Contact me if you want to look at/borrow our stuff--they give you a nice cruise guide, which I still have.  Really, it's the trip of a lifetime, and in July we were stepping around fluffy baby boobies. Penny Koyama, Bothell   On 04/06/2024 10:07 AM PDT Dennis Paulson via Tweeters <tweeters...> wrote:
    Blair, we had a great tour there with Wings in 2007, led by Rich Hoyer. Great because they visited all the islands necessary to give a broad picture of the birds and other features. Some of the general tour companies don’t visit Genovesa, far up in the northeast corner, and I think that’s one of the best islands to visit.   Sadly, their upcoming trip in November is already full, with a waitlist. But any tour company that visits Genovesa as part of their itinerary is probably fine, as you don’t really need a specialized bird guide.
  Dennis Paulson Seattle

On Apr 6, 2024, at 9:38 AM, B B via Tweeters <tweeters...> wrote:
Cindy and I are looking at a trip/cruise to the Galapagos.  Does not have to be bird-centric.  We would welcome recommendations from folks in Tweeterdom who have visited these islands - especially about ships/tour companies.  Email to me or share with tweeters - thank you    Blair Bernson _______________________________________________
Tweeters mailing list
<Tweeters...>