Date: 4/2/24 5:32 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamburg Hawk Watch (02 Apr 2024) 9 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Sue Barth

Observers:

Visitors:
None

Weather:
In a word: wet. Temps stayed between 46° and 48°F with moderate winds
from the ESE. The rain began around 8:45DST and I left at the top of the
hour. It looked like the rain might wane a bit so I returned a couple of
hours later and was rewarded with an Osprey that came through. That kept
hope alive coupled with the radar showing some clearing to the south. I
hung out another 3 hours only to tally another 8 Turkey Vultures.

#1 for today">https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S166978386</a><br>
#2 for today">https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S166979722</a>

Raptor Observations:
One Turkey Vulture in the first hour, 7 more between 12DST and 2pm. The TVs
and the 1 Osprey completes it for migrants; the local red-tails made an
appearance in the afternoon. No sign of the local coop.

Non-raptor Observations:
On arrival, I was treated to a group of Wild Turkeys - 4 males in all their
finery were flirting and displaying to the uninterested females. A phoebe
gave a nice show as it hovered and hunted on the lawn and a Great Egret was
a nice surprise by the back pond, joined by a pair of Common Mergansers, a
pair of Mallards, and 5 Bufflehead. On the way out, I stopped to watch a
Pileated Woodpecker working a log for grubs - a very nice encounter.

Predictions:
More rain
Report submitted by Sue Barth (<suebarth...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=364

Site Description:
This spring only "all volunteer" watch is conducted at Lakeside Cemetery in
Hamburg, NY. It is located on flat lake plain located along the shoreline
of the east end of Lake Erie, about 10 miles south of Buffalo, NY.
For additional information contact Jim Landau at <landaujr...>