Date: 3/31/24 9:12 am
From: Mike Correll-Feichtner <feinerVogel94551...>
Subject: [pen-bird] FW: [CALBIRDS] No Piping Plover 3/30
FYISent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Aidan Sinha <aidansinha...> Date: 3/30/24 11:16 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <CALBIRDS...> Subject: [CALBIRDS] No Piping Plover 3/30 All,Several of us were out during late afternoon today to search for the Piping Plover. Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one was able to see the bird (though one birder saw it fly by around noon - see https://ebird.org/checklist/S166526618). It was fairly windy and stormy for some of the time I was there (and the birds were fairly distant) so that may have prevented us from finding the bird. In addition, the high tide was later than the past few days, so the bird may have shown up later than usual (when the wind and rain got stronger and made it hard to view the birds) or simply did not appear until after everyone had left.For anyone planning to search for the bird: Starting tomorrow (Sunday), the afternoon high tide will likely be too late to find the bird. After Monday, if you show up early in the morning, you may have a chance to find the bird during the morning high tide (see https://tides.willyweather.com/ca/san-mateo-county/san-francisco-bay--ravenswood-slough-entrance.html for tides - 5 ft or higher is best for this bird). Please note that the trail (and the trailhead parking area at 37°29'18.3"N 122°08'27.2"W) will likely be fairly muddy for the next couple of days due to the storms. There is a paved public shore parking lot here (37°29'04.6"N 122°08'44.0"W) that you can also park at, although it is a slightly longer walk.Aidan SinhaSan Jose