Date: 5/26/24 3:53 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Loma Prieta area 5/26/24
Hi all,

Today my dad and I went up to the Loma Prieta area to search for the recently reported Black-chinned Sparrows. We were able to hear one singing from somewhere north of the large pullout at the intersection of Loma Prieta Avenue and Mount Madonna Road, and saw another farther south on Mount Madonna Road singing from several large snags around 37°05'43.1"N 121°50'38.4"W. The bird on Mount Madonna Road seemed to fairly reliably show up on those snags, as it often returned there after being flushed, so it may be worth checking this area if you cannot find them at the pullout. We also had a few Orange-crowned Warblers and at least one Lazuli Bunting (which was just barely within Santa Cruz County).

A couple more notes about birding the area: There were a lot of buzzing insects flying around when we were there, as well as a decent number of vehicles driving through the area, so be prepared for both. Also, the road to the summit of Loma Prieta is CLOSED past the pullout at the junction of Loma Prieta Avenue and Mount Madonna Road (I believe this closure has been in effect for a while, but I wanted to reiterate this since several people did go up that way today). You can go on Mount Madonna Road (the road to the right), but you cannot go past this point (37°05'49.8"N 121°50'45.4"W) on the road to the summit (the road on the left).

My eBird list for the SCC side is here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S177376471

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28267): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28267
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county