Date: 5/26/24 11:57 am
From: Ann Hepenstal via groups.io <annhep...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] May 25th field trip to Joseph D. Grant County Park
On Sat, Kirsten H., Linda Sue J., Linda S. and I led a "Women Walk the Wilds" field trip to Joseph D. Grant County Park.  The weather conditions were--mysterious! with low clouds/fog, a determined mist, and cool temperatures.  Grant County Park is a beautiful and special place every day, but on Saturday, it was even more magical.14 of us enjoyed a "walk" along the Hotel Trail, managing to go 0.7 miles in about 2 hours LOL.  Practically the first bird we spotted out of the parking lot was a Lazuli Bunting, with a Bullock's Oriole as the 2nd--which set the tone for the day.  :-)
Highlights:Lazuli Buntings were singing EVERYWHERE--we counted 8 but almost certainly there were more (we were trying to avoid duplicates)Bullock's Orioles were busy as well, singing and carrying food--we counted 5Western Bluebird pair was spotted carrying food and entering a nestboxCedar Waxwings--flyby of a flock of about 20American Kestrel working the fields, and later, harassing a Red-Tailed HawkWestern Kingbird (3)Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher--we got to watch it harassing a California Scrub Jay, who was oblivious to all of its threatsAsh-Throated Flycatchers were everywhere, perching up high, singing, flying busily about--we tallied 5 with all the movement, but probably there were more
After returning to the parking lot, most of the group stayed to enjoy a BYO picnic by the Rose Garden.Then several of us walked around the Rose Garden over to the bridge by the little pond/water feature.  We got great views of 3 Lawrence's Goldfinches moving about in that area, perching on trees and vegetation and landing in the mud by the creek bank.  A now-known-as Western Flycatcher gave us great views, and we counted about 17 species while just on the bridge.
FYI here's the links to the eBird checklists I kept:https://ebird.org/checklist/S177109757   Our walk from the parking lot out the Hotel Trail and back
https://ebird.org/checklist/S177109915 Checklist I kept during our picnic (Incidental birding)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S177110497 Checklist for the walk from the picnic area through the rose garden, over the bridge and back to the parking lot

Women Walk the Wilds field trips are for women* by women and are offered periodically through SCVAS.org -- all levels of birders welcomed, from expert and intermediate to beginner.  Watch the fall calendar for the next event! (*women/femme/nonbinary)
Good birding, Ann
** Want to get out birding on Sat June 1st?  Come help with the Summer Bird Count in the "Palo Alto Count Circle" encompassing parts of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.  email <paloaltocbc...>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28264): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28264
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county