Date: 5/25/24 3:32 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin
Several birders and I converged on Ed Levin County Park this morning to follow up on yesterday's BLUE GROSBEAK report. The birds were seen some distant beyond their traditional location at the sycamore grove and were found today just before the first windsock marking the hanglider launch area. To reach the spot where we found both the male and female, we hiked up from the dog park along the Tularcitos Trail and through the metal gate on the Agua Caliente Trail. They moved around quite a bit, beginning near the windsock, then moving down hill and back toward the sycamore grove. We also detected them again at the first metal gate near the large water tank. At one point the male was heard singing, but the other times their vocalizations were simple, but very loud chip notes reminiscent of a Northern Waterthrush.

LAZULI BUNTINGS seemed to be everywhere during our walk, as well as GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS and RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW. One LARK SPARROW was singing from the rocks beneath the second windsock (much higher up the hill).

Matthew

https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night
Birdathon Awards Night — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28261): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28261
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county