Date: 5/23/24 1:39 pm
From: Howard Friedman via groups.io <howardnfriedman...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Fun day at Edenvale Gardens Regional Park
Happy day to all,

Our group explored a lovely urban park, Edenvale Gardens Regional Park and had a wonderful time exploring.  What made this trip exceptionally good were having a few brand new birders on the trip along with some of our more seasoned birders.
We used both visual and auditory birding to find our feathery friends.  We had some early finds including a number of Eurasian Collared Doves, Anna's Hummingbirds, American Robins, and American Crows.  Walking the asphalt trails toward the west entrance to the park we saw a Mourning Dove which we were able to contrast to the Collared Dove.  Just above the perched Mourning Dove was an European Starling.  To our surprise a nice female Red-tailed Hawk perched in a Redwood within view.  We next watched a White-throated Swift zooming about with a pair of Violet-green Swallows.  It was nice to have such a vivid and obvious live demonstration of the structural differences between swifts and swallows right in front of us. We did get a brief view of a Turkey Vulture soaring by too.
As we made our way around the park, we saw a mixed flock of Bushtits and Chestnut-backed Chickadees feeding in the oaks and pepper trees.  We were able to get and auditory on a Western Flycatcher and a Warbling Vireo.  After describing the Nuttall's Woodpecker to our new birders, were were all able to watch a nice male feeding on a eucalyptus.  Just across behind us, we were able to observe the only Acorn Woodpecker seen this day.
Thank you to Joyce Zhang for her help on this trip.  She is an amazing and fun co-leader.  She has a nice ability to connect with our participants in a welcoming manner.  Thank you to our participants for being enthusiastic, observant, helpful, and fun.  It was a great day.  I have provided a link to the eBird report below.

Peace to all,

Howard

https://ebird.org/checklist/S176390905

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28257): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28257
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county