Date: 5/22/24 2:17 pm
From: Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black-chinned Sparrow
All,

This morning Frank Vanslager and I birded Loma Prieta where just as we were preparing to leave, we stopped to talk to Alice Church, an East Bay birder. She had just photographed a BLACK-CHINNED SPARROW (a life bird for her) in Santa Cruz County just below the tree in the upper saddle (the same area that Frank had earlier heard one singing). As soon as I stopped my car (at about 9:30) I heard the bird sing on the Santa Clara side of the road and Alice quickly spotted it on a bare branch for some good looks (unfortunately not long enough for me set up my camera). I should note that earlier my Merlin had detected the two note call of the bird in the same area that the bird was later seen in. Other good birds included LAZULI BUNTINGS, at least one OLIVE- SIDED FLYCATCHER and ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHERS.

Take care,

Bob Reiling

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28256): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28256
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county