Date: 5/21/24 12:35 pm
From: John Harshman via groups.io <john.harshman...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS Phylobirding at Joseph D. Grant, 5/19
Several intrepid birders and intrepid co-lead Edward Rooks joined for the phylobirding experience at Joseph D. Grant County Park on Sunday. (Phylobirding is the use of phylogenetic and biogeographic insight to add to the birding experience. Yes, I made the word up.) All the birds were singing, and we heard more than we saw. Highlights include several *lazuli buntings* , *Bullock's orioles* , *Cooper's hawks* , and *western flycatchers*. There was one *Lawrence's goldfinch* near the fountain, which unfortunately was dry. The vermilion flycatcher did not make an appearance.

At Grant Lake, we saw an immature *bald eagle* , four orange-headed *American coot* chicks with parents, to *pied-billed grebe* chicks, also with parents, and many singing *California thrashers*.

And here's a little phylobirding for you: Which four of the families mentioned above are New World endemics?*

*The answers: lazuli bunting, Cardinalidae; Bullock's oriole, Icteridae; western flycatcher, Tyrannidae; and California thrasher, Mimidae.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28255): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28255
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county