Date: 5/19/24 10:09 am
Subject: Black-whiskered Vireo, Sullivan's Island, SC
A Black-whiskered vireo was found today on Sullivan's Island, SC and seems
to be hanging out around the 16th beach access and the entrance to the
Sullivan's Island Nature Trail. Elizabeth Anderegg heard this bird from
near the SPAWAR Bldg. and followed it into the Nature Trail area,
eventually making its way to near the intersection of 16th and the
trailhead. Apparently it was heard even earlier by some folks doing some
bird banding at the banding station. Matt Johnson found the bird,
photographed it, and sent the word out via the GroupMe rare bird alert and
several birders made their way to that location. When Pam and I arrived
the bird was quiet and then began singing again, which Matt Johnson
detected, and we went to the area of the singing and found the bird. At
least a dozen birders were able to hear and see the bird. Here are the
coordinates: 32.7563486, -79.8524312.

Sarah Diaz banded a Black-whiskered Vireo in this area at the end of April
of this year, but this bird is not banded, so this is a different
individual.

--

*"to live will be an awfully big adventure" - Peter Pan*

Craig Watson
Mount Pleasant, SC

Join us on Facebook!