Date: 5/18/24 3:38 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Loma Prieta 05-18-24
Mid morning, Cricket and I ventured up to Loma Prieta. Contrary to my last visit a week ago, the area was loud with song and very active. We went first to the wide area before the “closed private road” sign and listened. Within minutes we were able to hear the incredible song of the BLACK-CHINNED SPARROW. It seemed to be moving around the hillside across the valley (within Santa Clara County). Eventually, the bird made its way to the bushes below us and was briefly visible atop the pine tree beside the road. It continued to sing again, but only after a pause of maybe 10-15 minutes. Also present in the area was a cooperative OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER, and several LAZULI BUNTINGS. A large group of Swallows was foraging over the Santa Cruz side of the road, and one or two larger individuals was among them. I watched as one of the, a PURPLE MARTIN crossed into our county and disappeared after it passed behind some trees.

Matthew

SCVAS Speaker Series this Wednesday will host Sophie Osborn, author of Feather Trails
https://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-sophie-osborn
https://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-sophie-osborn
Speaker Series: Sophie Osborn — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28251): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28251
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county