Date: 5/18/24 3:38 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Baylands 05-18-24
I met up with Diane, Liz, Maya and the rest of the SCVAS group this morning. I remained for only the first bit of their walk, but found some nice birds while I was with them. The Harriet Mundy Marsh had several WHIMBREL, and a LONG-BILLED CURLEW mixed in with the MARBLED GODWITS. Three LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS were also in that area showing their lovely breeding plumage, especially the wide black coverts with conspicuous white tips. The white fringing on the belly and flank feathers was also visible, but a bit harder to see. As we stood there a BANK SWALLOW shot past our group and out over the bay. I noticed the dark brown back, white underside, white wrapping around the auriculars and the conspicuous dark band across the breast. I do not believe the rest of the group was able to get their binoculars on the bird.

Matthew

SCVAS Speaker Series this Wednesday will host Sophie Osborn, author of Feather Trails
https://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-sophie-osborn
Speaker Series: Sophie Osborn — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28250): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28250
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county