Date: 5/17/24 9:04 am
Subject: Re: Keeping squirrels away from feeders
A baffle on a pole works as long as the squirrel can't jump from a nearby
object.

I have a few of these in my backyard and the squirrels can't get past them:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010QD5QO?th=1__;!!OToaGQ!vS44LTyik3asJlyTGIzxo_Kgy0e3qFIw37rUpee2FdGwLUJ0mfYPjZ8NFHogdJevi2vCqwm-zW-y2qOgjL9d$

Michael

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 10:56 AM Sophia Cox <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Good morning, all.
>
> Fortunately, our own feeders are not usually plagued by squirrels—our
> “squirrel-proof” feeders really are close to squirrel-proof. But my
> grandmother in Rhode Island keeps calling me, increasingly frantic, because
> “the piggy squirrels gobble up the birdseed.” She lives alone and gets
> great joy from watching the birds, but the squirrels are driving her crazy
> when they empty her seed.
>
> We sent her a supposedly squirrel-proof feeder, and she has it hanging
> from a pole attached to her deck railing, but she says it does nothing.
> “They hang from their little back toesies and they eat it. They’re carnival
> squirrels and there’s a whole colony. And your grandmother is not paranoid.
> She is in her right mind. But she is going out of her mind.”
>
> She’s also tried cayenne pepper (and some more unusual strategies like
> putting plastic red lizards and wind chimes out in the hope of scaring away
> the squirrels). She has considered sitting outside all day with a water gun
> to squirt at them but says she doesn’t have time for that.
>
> I have run out of suggestions for her and thought I’d see if anyone else
> has ideas.
>
> Meanwhile, I’ve been watching a male bluebird feed his newly fledged young
> at my bird feeders here in Clemson. Happy birding, all!
>
> Best,
> Sophie
>
> Get Outlook for iOS
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aka.ms/o0ukef__;!!OToaGQ!pO28_nu6_moBwXWDdwxelxowzRdWPnshAZitSfF4bC_2p8nJtFqTcEPzd-vh4X2ZHenlEsfE55eN4Cp1v2Kh8_4$>