Date: 5/16/24 3:51 pm
From: Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] McClellan Ranch beginner bird outing 5/16
Diane and I led an outing at McClellan ranch this morning! We started out at the feeders, where we saw chestnut-backed chickadees, oak titmice,  brown-headed cowbirds,  and both pygmy and white-breasted nuthatches enjoying the seeds and suet. An exciting moment was when the female black-chinned hummingbird decided to snack on some hummingbird sage! We also saw a spotted towhee and California towhee on the ground, and before we left the feeders, we were visited by a Steller's jay.

We walked along the path  and ended up at the barn, where we saw the Western screech owl roosting in the beams. Further along the path, we saw more chickadees, dark-eyed juncos, black phoebes, and Anna's hummingbird. We also heard some birds but weren't able to see them: western flycatchers, Nuttall's woodpecker, brown creeper. We got a pretty good look at a red-shouldered hawk who flew overhead. Ending up at the creek, we saw a mallard bobbing in the water.

In total, we saw 28 species. You can see the full list of species at eBird - https://ebird.org/checklist/ S17490 7397 ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S174907397 )

Interested in more bird walks? Visit the SCVAS website ( https://scvas.org/fieldtrips ) for field trips and other information!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28245): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28245
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county