Date: 5/14/24 9:42 am
Subject: Re: Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia book announcement
What a great looking book! Congratulations to all involved!

I kept clicking until I got to the view inside, which was great but also be ready for the left-right confusion: what you see on the left is the map and photos for the previous species. So I'm looking at pages 59 (map and photos of Appalachian Swallowtail) on the left, while on the right is the text account for Dainty Sulphur. You'd think book publishers would understand how book pages are laid out and set up their pdf viewer with that in mind, but never mind that, it sill looks like a wonderful reference.

Chris Hill, Ph.D.
Professor
Biology Department
Coastal Carolina University
Office: Science2 207H
(843) 349-2567
email: <chill...>

> On May 14, 2024, at 12:30 PM, Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.
>
> Fellow birders and butterfliers (as many of you birders are also into butterflies),
>
> Harry LeGrand, Jeff Pippen, Derb Carter, and Pierre Howard are excited to announce the pre-sale of the brand new UNC Press book titled Butterflies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia: A Field Guide, expected to hit bookshelves in June or July!
>
> In addition to having introductory text on butterfly biology, habitats, observing/photographing, etc., the book will feature ALL butterfly species known to have occurred in the region. Each regularly occurring species will have a two-page spread (species account) with text (identification, similar species, distribution, abundance, flight period, larval and nectar plants, and miscellaneous helpful comments) on the left-hand page. The right-hand page will feature photos, county distribution map, and a special Key Field Marks highlight box.
>
> As a special bonus, you can receive a 30% discount by entering the promo code “01SOCIAL30” (without the quotes) at the following UNC Press webpage:
>
> https://uncpress.org/book/9781469678566/butterflies-of-north-carolina-south-carolina-virginia-and-georgia/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uncpress.org/book/9781469678566/butterflies-of-north-carolina-south-carolina-virginia-and-georgia/__;!!OToaGQ!sUHqnVdmMK7SO_kuLXoM0AqdZkp3cwZHFkYRHkS39rdSDosnZcQZD6z18oH0WGM64GeZX9MVD_EBLmz1zM501GI$>
>
> NOTE: the link has a View Inside, so you can view up to 138 pages of this 456-page book. However, the facing pages on the View Inside are backwards, so that the left page is really a right-side page in the book; a given species has its species account on the left page and the facing page in the book, on the right, are the photos, map, and field marks. The quality of the photos on the View Inside are likely not as sharp as will be seen in the book -- hopefully!
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!