Date: 5/13/24 12:14 pm
Subject: Re: RFI: locations with emerging Periodic Cicadas
I visited Lake Crabtree County Park today in west Raleigh/Morrisville and
there are still a good number of cicadas calling but as Michael suggested
there are alot of carcasses and obviously spent but living cicadas along
many of the trails. The sound emanating from the myriads in the treetops is
otherworldly.
JC

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 1:55 PM Lynda Haake <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I have witnessed Carolina Chickadees and Cardinals feasting on them. FYI.
>
> Lynda
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 11, 2024, at 12:50 PM, Michael Fogleman <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>

> Birds are definitely feeding on them.
>
> I have a camera in a bluebird box in my backyard. Mom's in there
> incubating and dad has been bringing mostly spiders and cicadas for her to
> eat. Here's a video showing several cicada feedings:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/bluebird-cicadas.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!urv-ke021xCcM999nOea8YbiVmiqiIR-YPOltevrRXijPipzXQnzLhTcbTyj8nUW3OZhq-bZ-Or0XaSZlt3QrAAI9A$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/bluebird-cicadas.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!oR7jJ7mMzEUMX_lQKwQJPlKVuQ0AQAzrfizNxFZbz-Y2-ymPsFMLxmOjuQ7Zg9yH9xLo0BsgIrCv1GS-jaWx$>
>
> Last night, I saw some screech owl nestlings get their first food delivery
> of the evening from dad, and of course it was a cicada (this was at Harris
> Lake County Park):
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/screech-owl-cicada.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!urv-ke021xCcM999nOea8YbiVmiqiIR-YPOltevrRXijPipzXQnzLhTcbTyj8nUW3OZhq-bZ-Or0XaSZlt283EGE9Q$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/screech-owl-cicada.mp4__;!!OToaGQ!oR7jJ7mMzEUMX_lQKwQJPlKVuQ0AQAzrfizNxFZbz-Y2-ymPsFMLxmOjuQ7Zg9yH9xLo0BsgIrCv1E6H4fA7$>
>
> Cicada numbers there seem pretty high. I measured their noise at 75 dB
> with an app on my phone a few days ago.
>
> I also saw a Red-winged Blackbird eat one at Sandy Creek Park in Durham.
>
> You better hurry up though, it looks like the cicadas are starting to die
> off naturally now, at least here in the Triangle.
>
> Michael Fogleman
> Cary, NC
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 7:26 AM Wayne Hoffman <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I am looking for locations where large numbers of the Brood XIX Cicadas
>> are emerging, I would like to see whether any birds are feeding on them.
>> Places with both cicadas and Mississippi Kites would be awesome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wayne Hoffman
>> Wilmington

Join us on Facebook!