Date: 5/3/24 10:19 pm
From: Alex Castelein via groups.io <alex.castelein...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Bank Swallow + Discussion on the Ibis
Hi all,

This evening right as I and the last few people were getting ready to
leave, Curtis and I had a Bank Swallow sitting on the wires behind the
police station. Kyle Kusa also emailed me photos of two Lesser Nighthawks
that he spotted flying over the slough after everyone else had left, which
are very good for the south coast in spring. The 2 Cattle Egrets, 2
Wilson's Phalaropes, and 4 Yellow-headed Blackbirds present were all
present most of the time I was there.

As for the ibis, I think it's looking good for Glossy, with the very dark
eye, dark gray facial skin (with no sign of pink that I could see), and a
thin, pale blue border to the facial skin that doesn't wrap behind the eye.
However, the pink on the ankles can of course be problematic. There are
many precedents of the CBRC accepting very similar birds with comparable
amounts of pink on the legs as pure Glossies, but there is also precedent
of them rejecting birds that even look slightly better. That is entirely
dependent on the current committee members, so we can only speculate
what they'll decide during the next voting period (I'm choosing to be
cautiously optimistic!). Check out my photos and a longer description on my
checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S171812946

Here are the links from my checklist in a more accessible way:
Birds accepted by the CBRC:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S25909552
https://ebird.org/checklist/S68520798
https://ebird.org/checklist/S18927151
https://ebird.org/checklist/S46001344
https://ebird.org/checklist/S89355851
https://ebird.org/checklist/S111373929
https://ebird.org/checklist/S30069618
Birds from elsewhere:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/462117001
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/532747661
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/446670651
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/97983371
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/96826851

It will also be good to continue getting more documentation of this bird in
the following days, especially in different lighting, assuming it sticks.
I've had up to 5 ibises at this location for the last week or so, so maybe
it's already been here for a couple days. I'll be back there tomorrow.

Good birding,
Alex Castelein
Isla Vista/UCSB

View/Reply Online (#37287): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37287