Date: 5/3/24 6:27 pm
From: Carole Winslow <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Warren Co- whip-poor-will, northern saw-whet, woodcock
I wanted to share a great evening last night in Warren Co at my usual
spot off 337, northeast of Tidioute and not far from Hickory Creek
Wilderness. I went to check on whip-poor-will which I have found there the
last couple of years, but was rewarded with much more.
We arrived at 8:46 pm which seemed to be the perfect time, as the
whip-poor-will was calling when we arrived, along with robins, towhee, and
catbird. After a minute, I heard the sounds of woodcocks, with at least
two birds in display flight, a species I haven't found there previously. A
barred owl started calling in the distance. Last year we had found a
saw-whet owl calling here, so we played a couple calls, and within a minute
had a response with a toot call. At one point, the whip and saw-whet were
calling at the same time and I was able to get a brief faint recording. We
took a brief walk down the access road just to the gate, and also heard the
saw-whet giving a few wail calls. At that point the activity wound down and
we headed back to camp after a couple minutes of appreciating the beauty of
the stars. It was just a magical experience and worth the drive after dark
when it's sometimes easier to just sit on the couch or go to bed early.
Every time I face that choice of going out for birds or staying home, I
never regret it..

Get out there and enjoy the spring and all the new arrivals !

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co.

Join us on Facebook!