Date: 5/3/24 5:51 pm
From: 'margohj' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: RE: [ia-bird] Digest for - 6 updates in 6 topics
AMY....this message just came to me.I'd be GLAD to be photographer but also would turn over to others.  have put on my calendarSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: <ia-bird...> Date: 5/3/24 7:36 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Digest recipients <ia-bird...> Subject: [ia-bird] Digest for <ia-bird...> - 6 updates in 6 topics

<ia-bird...>

Google Groups

Topic digest

View all topics

Shorebirds - Ketelsen Marsh, Ames -
1 Update

Cedar River today -
1 Update

Iowa RBA: 5-3-24 -
1 Update

Warbler walk 5/3/24 -
1 Update

Northern Mockingbird at Sailorville Lake -
1 Update

Poweshiek co birds -
1 Update

Shorebirds - Ketelsen Marsh, Ames

Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>: May 03 06:09PM -0500

Currently viewing short-billed dowitchers, Wilson’s Phalaropes, both yellowlegs, Stilt Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, among more common species in the flooded areas at Ketelsen Marsh.

Good birding,
Cody Porter
Ames, IA

Back to top

Cedar River today

Ryan Shackleton <shack357...>: May 03 05:54PM -0400

Took my kayak down the Cedar today from Floyd to Charles City. Water level high but still easy going, no overly fast current. Spotted several sandpiper species that I couldn't quite nail down, a few green herons(first of the season) a first of year oriole and plenty of less noteworthy species.

Also found another eagle nest along the route, that makes 3 eagle nests on this short run, with at least two being used.

Most interestingly, I had a bat flying around about 40 feet above the river-at noon! Never seen that before.

Ryan Shackleton
Alta Vista, IA
Chickasaw County

Back to top

Iowa RBA: 5-3-24

John and Anna Bissell <john.annabissell...>: May 03 11:08AM -0500

Iowa RBA birds reported from Saturday, April 27, to Friday, May 3, 2024:

RARE Species Mentioned (documentation required)

Additional Species Mentioned:

Long-tailed Duck

Red-necked Grebe

Yellow Rail

Black-necked Stilt

Western Sandpiper

Marbled Godwit

Plegadis Ibis

White-faced Ibis

Snowy Egret

Golden Eagle

White-winged Dove

Fish Crow

Pine Warbler

Western Tanager

Blue Grosbeak (3rd earliest)

Red Crossbill

***NEW!****************
We For more up to date information on rarities in the state of Iowa, visit
the
Iowa Birds and Birding website at www.Iowa birds.org
************************

Species in ALL CAPS can be classified into three categories in the state of
Iowa: 1) UNRECORDED, ACCIDENTAL or Casual; 2) A RARE but regular species;
or 3) record early or late date or unusual for time of year. Any species
with three asterisks (***species***) would represent a first record for
Iowa (UNRECORDED) and should be observed and documented very carefully.
Species with two asterisks (**species**) are species that are either
ACCIDENTAL, CASUAL, or a rare regular species, and should also be
documented. Species with one asterisk (*species) should have some details
of the observation provided.

*NORTH CENTRAL*

HAMILTON COUNTY

2 WHITE-FACED IBIS were seen at Bjorkboda Marsh on the 29th.

A LONG-TAILED DUCK was seen at Goose Lake on the 1st.

*EAST*

JOHNSON COUNTY

2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS continue from the Headquarters area of Hawkeye WA on
the 27th.

A RED CROSSBILL was seen at the south arm of Lake McBride on the 27th.

JACKSON COUNTY

A PINE WARBLER was seen at Maquoketa Caves SP on the 27th.

DELAWARE COUNTY

A FISH CROW was seen at Backbone SP on the 28th.

*NORTHEAST*

DUBUQUE COUNTY

A PINE WARBLER was seen at Eagle Point Park on the 28th.

A PINE WARBLER was seen at Four Mounds on the 30th.

BREMER COUNTY

A GOLDEN EAGLE was seen at Sweet Marsh on the 27th.

*CENTRAL*

GREENE COUNTY

A SNOWY EGRET was seen at the 270th St Pool at Dunbar Slough on the 27th.

POLK COUNTY

A WHITE-WINGED DOVE continues at a yard in Polk City on the 27th.

A FISH CROW was seen in Polk City on the 27th.

5 RED CROSSBILLS were seen around Dowling Catholic High School on the 28th.

A RED-NECKED GREBE was seen at Grays Lake on the 1st.

A FISH CROW continues at Sandpiper RA on the 1st.

2 SNOWY EGRETS were seen at Waterworks Park on the 2nd.

A WESTERN TANAGER was seen at Ashworth and Greenwood Park on the 3rd.

JASPER COUNTY

2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS were seen at the Prairie City water treatment lagoon
on the 27th.

STORY COUNTY

2 WESTERN SANDPIPERS were seen here 41.9363271, -93.6531482 which is near
Kelley on the 27th.

*SOUTH CENTRAL*

DECATUR COUNTY

An early BLUE GROSBEAK was seen along 310th St on the 27th.

MADISON COUNTY

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at Jensen Marsh on the 2nd.

*SOUTHWEST*

UNION COUNTY

6 WHITE-FACED IBIS were seen along 150th St near Creston on the 27th.

*NORTHWEST *

BUENA VISTA COUNTY

9 PLEGADIS IBIS were seen at Little Storm Lake on the 29th.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at Pickeral Lake on the 27th.

PLEGADIS IBIS were seen at Leo Grau WMA on the 29th.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at Leo Grau WMA on the 29th.

8 WHITE-FACED IBIS were seen along 200th Ave near Newell on the 30th.

CLAY COUNTY

A GOLDEN EAGLE was seen at Dan Green Slough on the 27th.

A RED-NECKED GREBE was seen at Trumbull Lake on the 29th.

OBRIEN COUNTY

4 MARBLED GODWITS were seen along Redwing Ave near Primghar on the 27th.

28 WHITE-FACED IBIS were seen at Miller Park on the 27th.

PALO ALTO COUNTY

A GLOSSY IBIS was seen at Virgin Lake WMA on the 27th.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at Virgin Lake WMA on the 27th.

SAC COUNTY

2 SNOWY EGRETS were seen at Kiowa Marsh on the 28th.

A PLEGADIS IBIS was seen at Kiowa Marsh on the 2nd.

SIOUX COUNTY

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was seen at the CRP23A wetland conversion project on the
29th.

WOODBURY COUNTY

A YELLOW RAIL was seen at Table Marsh WMA on the 1st.

The next scheduled report of the Iowa Rare Bird Alert will be for Friday,
May 10, 2024 for the weekly report. Should any UNRECORDED or ACCIDENTAL
species be reported, an update will be posted.

John Bissell

Grimes, Iowa

<John.annabissell...>

515-423-6108

Back to top

Warbler walk 5/3/24

James McCoy <jgmccoy350...>: May 03 08:41AM -0500

We had a beautiful morning for a walk with approximately 10 participants.
We had 13 warbler species. My full list below:

1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
2 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Empidonax sp.
3 Great Crested Flycatcher
5 Yellow-throated Vireo
1 Blue-headed Vireo
10 Blue Jay
1 American Crow
5 Black-capped Chickadee
3 Tufted Titmouse
2 Barn Swallow
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
12 House Wren
6 Gray Catbird
1 Brown Thrasher
1 Eastern Bluebird
1 Swainson's Thrush
5 American Robin
3 American Goldfinch
1 White-crowned Sparrow
20 White-throated Sparrow
1 Baltimore Oriole
1 Ovenbird
1 Golden-winged Warbler -- Heard only
3 Black-and-white Warbler
1 Tennessee Warbler
3 Nashville Warbler
3 Common Yellowthroat
3 American Redstart
1 Northern Parula -- Heard only
1 Blackburnian Warbler
1 Chestnut-sided Warbler
5 Palm Warbler
8 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 Scarlet Tanager
7 Northern Cardinal
6 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

A great birding day!

Jamie McCoy

Back to top

Northern Mockingbird at Sailorville Lake

Laura Russell <kittyluv1313...>: May 02 08:58PM -0500

Today I was birding at Cottonwood Rec area and heard the mockingbird song.
Growing up in Alabama, I am very familiar with its song, but have never
found one in Iowa. Loved seeing and hearing and it made me miss my mom!

Laura

Back to top

Poweshiek co birds

"Bob & Connie" <crvanersvelde...>: May 02 07:57PM -0500

Had a treat today at supper time had a male Baltimore oriole, white-crowned sparrow, and a male orchard oriole all around a jelly feeder in a small tree. Had as many as 4 adult male B orioles and 1 female at one time, 4 male grosbeaks at one time, FOY catbird, and a female orchard oriole today. In the last week still have whitethroats, acouple of Harris sp. towhees, and banded a northern waterthrush last Sunday. Bob Van Ersvelde Grinnell

Back to top

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to ia-bird+<unsubscribe...>

--
Post by sending an email to <ia-bird...>
IOU Code of Birding Ethics - https://iowabirds.org/Pages.aspx?pg=6
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ia-bird/<536549058.8267013.1714783857132...>

Join us on Facebook!