Date: 5/3/24 1:47 pm
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Ahhh....Spring!
Even spell check did not help the Gray-cheeked Thrush get its moment on the
internet. Well, we did have a couple of birds that could have been
Gray-cheeked Warblers, but I did enter them as Nashville Warblers. I don't
think an ID of Gray-cheeked Warbler would get much credibility, even if it
does look like the Nashvilles we saw that day.
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 10:55 AM Steve Weston <sweston2g...> wrote:

> Ahhh...SPRING! It is so hard to sit at the computer with the birds
> inviting me to get out. Even after a very productive and enjoyable Salt
> Lake Festival, I am still seeing lots of new birds. We personally had over
> 100 species on the Salt Lake trip. We stopped at Long Lake on our way out
> and scored the Garganey in the rain and Avocets and a half dozen other
> shorebirds. The weather was great on Saturday with winnowing snipe,
> twirling phalaropes, hiding grebes, a flashing Black-throated Green
> warbler, handsome Lark Sparrows, and many other treasures. On the ride back
> we found a Cattle Egret not far from Marietta, miles of semi-invisible
> longspurs and a probable Upland Sandpiper along the northern boundary of
> Renville County.
>
> Back home I added Ovenbird, Nashville, and Black and White to the five
> warblers seen out west, along with a Horned Grebe and Avocet on Lake
> Byllesby and a Gray-cheeked Warbler down near Red Wing. Flotillas of geese
> are crossing our lake and grazing in the grass, but I have yet to see any
> ducklings.
>
> Last Saturday the woodlands had erupted in bloom. Now I am seeing
> violets and garlic mustard flowering everywhere. Our Redbud is in full
> glory. It should be a good time to search for morels, but I haven't had a
> chance. Our Big Brown Bat is back this week, sheltering by our front door.
>
> I urge you to step into the glory just out your door. Today the
> temperature should climb over 70. Turn on Merlin and listen.
>
> Steve Weston
> On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
> <sweston2g...>

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!