Date: 5/3/24 1:34 pm
From: Cassandra DeQuevedo <cassandradq...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC Horn Pond Walk this Morning
Hello Everyone,

What a great morning. Our Horn Pond walk led by Diana Fruguglietti and
myself was surprisingly fruitful despite the chilly, overcast weather. We
had a good group of 12 people, including ourselves. From the sturgis st.
route, we took the George Olson trail to check out some of the lesser
trekked wooded areas to the east of the pond.

Some standout birds we were fortunate to see/hear included warblers like
the black-throated blue, nashville, many parulas, prairie, yellow,
common-yellow throat and more, close-up views of a male red-breasted
grosbeak posing for us by the back bridges, an osprey wrestling a snake in
its talons, an ovenbird, and a hermit thrush.

Here is the video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcytF2-lec> discussed
during our walk that identifies local migrant warblers, their songs, and
the time of year each pass through shot in our Mount Auburn Cemetery. Enjoy.

Hope to see you out soon.

Horn Pond Recreation Area, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
May 3, 2024 7:25 AM - 10:08 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.37 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Mbc trip
53 species

Canada Goose 9
Mute Swan 7
Mallard 11
Mourning Dove 7
Chimney Swift 2
Ring-billed Gull 7
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Green Heron 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Osprey 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 4
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 13
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 11
Tufted Titmouse 7
Tree Swallow 7
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Gray Catbird 12
Northern Mockingbird 2
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 8
American Goldfinch 6
White-throated Sparrow 12
Song Sparrow 8
Swamp Sparrow 2
Baltimore Oriole 5
Red-winged Blackbird 17
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Common Grackle 18
Ovenbird 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Nashville Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 4
Northern Parula 6
Yellow Warbler 4
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 10
Prairie Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 15
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S171688012

Happy Birding,

Cassandra & Diana

"Hope is the thing with feathers." -Emily Dickenson

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/