Date: 5/3/24 8:55 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] Ahhh....Spring!
Ahhh...SPRING! It is so hard to sit at the computer with the birds inviting
me to get out. Even after a very productive and enjoyable Salt Lake
Festival, I am still seeing lots of new birds. We personally had over 100
species on the Salt Lake trip. We stopped at Long Lake on our way out and
scored the Garganey in the rain and Avocets and a half dozen other
shorebirds. The weather was great on Saturday with winnowing snipe,
twirling phalaropes, hiding grebes, a flashing Black-throated Green
warbler, handsome Lark Sparrows, and many other treasures. On the ride back
we found a Cattle Egret not far from Marietta, miles of semi-invisible
longspurs and a probable Upland Sandpiper along the northern boundary of
Renville County.

Back home I added Ovenbird, Nashville, and Black and White to the five
warblers seen out west, along with a Horned Grebe and Avocet on Lake
Byllesby and a Gray-cheeked Warbler down near Red Wing. Flotillas of geese
are crossing our lake and grazing in the grass, but I have yet to see any
ducklings.

Last Saturday the woodlands had erupted in bloom. Now I am seeing
violets and garlic mustard flowering everywhere. Our Redbud is in full
glory. It should be a good time to search for morels, but I haven't had a
chance. Our Big Brown Bat is back this week, sheltering by our front door.

I urge you to step into the glory just out your door. Today the temperature
should climb over 70. Turn on Merlin and listen.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!