Date: 5/3/24 6:12 am
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Salt Lake Weekend 2024 - Final Tally - 130 species
Hello Birders,

Our final tally for the Salt Lake Birding Weekend can be found here:

https://moumn.org/saltlake/

We had 130 species this year, with upwards of 150 birders canvassing the
Lac qui Parle/Big Stone region. Morning weather was tough, but lots of
shorebirds started showing up after lunch, with Salt Lake being one of the
highlights. There we found Wilson’s Phalaropes, with Stilt Sandpipers and
Long-billed Dowitchers feeding side-by-side. All five of our core Grebe
species were located, with multiple pairs of courting Western Grebes
spotted in the Refuge and on the scattered potholes lakes of Big Stone
County. Other highlights included Sandhill Cranes, a Spotted Towhee in Big
Stone National Wildlife Refuge. Snowy and Cattle Egrets, along with
Black-necked Stilts, were located on Sunday.

Shorebird migration is now peaking in the area, and there is even more
standing water in the fields than there was last weekend.

Thanks again to all of our participating birders, my fellow guides Ken
Larson, Steve Weston, and Trey Weaver, and to the cities of Marietta and
Madison, the Marietta Legion Auxiliary, Madison Mercantile and Kris
Shelstad, and the Sons of Norway Lodge for hosting and feeding us.

Jason Frank

Ortonville MN

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!