Date: 5/2/24 6:15 pm
From: Matt S. <accipiter22...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] May 02, 2024 - Nahanton Park Newton - Continued excellent migrant flows. Least Flycatcher, Scarlet Tanager, Savannah Sparrows, Nashville, etc.
Hi All,

Took a trip to Nahanton this morning; was considering Mount Auburn as
well, but I’ve been there a few times recently. The weather was
really nice; cool when I first arrived before warming up to a mild
day. This migration season continues to feel like it is several days
ahead.

I had a first of year least flycatcher in the upper gardens, a trove
of orioles, northern parulas singing, first of year scarlet tanager,
first of year Nashville, scads of yellow-rumps and so on. It seems
like the early-season regulars like yellow-rumps are here at the same
time as things I would expect slightly later like Nashville and
Tanagers. Savannah and white-throated sparrows were also abundant.

One of the reasons I enjoy Nahanton so much is that it provides near
eye-level viewing due to some flowering trees that they let grow
without trimming low hanging branches. Almost every eye-level Northern
Parula I have seen has been here, and orioles will forage while
singing just a few feet off the ground. I hope they keep it like this
forever. I would say that so far this has been a very successful
migration season, and one which

That's all for now,

Matt s.
Newton, MA
<Accipiter22...>

----
Nahanton Park, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
May 2, 2024 6:50 AM - 8:27 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.52 mile(s)
34 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 7
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) 1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 9
Common Raven (Corvus corax) 1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 9
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 5
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 9
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 4
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 3
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 6
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 1
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 16
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 9
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 12
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 7
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 7
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 8
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 8
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 2
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 1
Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla) 1
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 13
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S171474535