Date: 5/2/24 6:27 am
From: Susan Delaney <sqdelaney...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Fun Sandy Beach Walk 04/29/24
Dear Fellow Birders,

Regarding this Sandy visit, I believe you saw the old tree trunk with the chickadee nesting as you walked into the area. This old tree has also been a favorite spot for tree swallows in past years. I went back for a second look at the orioles yesterday afternoon, and the park had cut the tree down. I am so saddened by this. I left a review/note on the Shannon Beach web site. It might help if more of us would make it clear to them that older trees are still valuable to the ecosystem.
Clearing away habitat for birds seems to be a normal occurrence for this park.

Grrr,
Sue D

On Apr 30, 2024, at 6:13 PM, Cassandradq <cassandradq...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed email, but here’s an update on yesterday’s walk. We had a lovely outing at Sandy Beach. Beautiful weather. There were 9 of us including the two leaders. Great energy with the group and a collaborative effort to see many new arrivals and exciting birds.

4 FOY sightings (FOY for us anyway, Baltimore Orioles, Bland and White Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Warbling Vireo), plus Yellow-rumps, Palm Warblers, great looks at a Pine Warbler, Osprey, Cooper's Hawk (Kecking in the woods and then emerging and flying around to several trees before leaving), Savannah Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows and more.

Hope to see you out next time.

You can add this list to your ebird by clicking this link.
https://ebird.org/mychecklists?subID=UzE3MTAzNjU5Mg==&s=t

Mystic Lakes--Sandy Beach, Winchester, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 29, 2024 7:02 AM - 8:38 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.357 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Muscrat in the north side of the pond
34 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) 1
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 3
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 3
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 2
Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 3
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1 Juvenile
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 2
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 2
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 5
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 3
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 25
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 2
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 4
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 5 5 or more feeding and calling in trees next to marshy lagoon, good close looks- black head, orange body, white wing bars
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 1
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 23
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 2
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 4
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 7
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S171036592

Happy Birding,

Cassandra DeQuevedo & John Edmondson

“Hope is a thing with feathers.” -Emily Dickenson

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/