Date: 4/30/24 5:12 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Sonoma County- Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa area 4/27 and 4/29/24
Got a chance to bird some sites in Sonoma County the past few days.

On Saturday 4/27 I made several visits throughout the day to Crane Creek
Regional Park of Roberts Ranch/Pressley Rd.s east of Rohnert Park. This is
a very fun and accessible (128 acres) park for birding that features Oak
Savannah, restored Riparian and especially Grassland.

Here are some observations I found interesting/notable :

White-tailed Kite - foraging over park in the morning and afternoon, likely
breeding nearby

SWAINSON'S HAWKS - I did not expect to see Swainson's Hawks in the Laguna
de Santa Rosa this late into spring. A pair of Light Morph birds were
foraging together and interacting over the park and neighboring
vineyard/ranchland several hours apart in the early and late afternoon.
Based on this behavior it may be that these birds are looking to pair and
nest nearby, they were not behaving as migrants just passing through the
area do.

American Kestrel - our smallest falcon has decreased dramatically in recent
decades as a breeding bird in Marin as well San Mateo and San Francisco
(nearing extirpation in the last two.) I'm not as familiar with its status
in Sonoma but I think it is always worth noting in the breeding season

Western Kingbird - a pair was teaming with Red-winged Blackbirds to mob a
scrub jay in the tree at the entrance to the park. I initially thought they
were defending their nest but turned out the scrub jay was hunting fence
lizards. The jay successfully captured its prey, shook the pursuers, then
flew with the food into a presumed nest tree/Live Oak north of the parking
lot

Savannah Sparrow - perhaps a lingering wintering bird, briefly in the tree
at entrance driveway to park in the morning only, I'm not aware of nesting
Savannah Sparrows in Sonoma County away from the Bayside and immediate
coast,

Grasshopper Sparrow - several very cooperative individuals found throughout
the day at edge park/frisbee golf course

On 4/29 Megan Mosur and I Hiked the lower Johnson Ridge Trail from the
parking lot at Hood Mountain Regional Park to Merganser Pond in the early
afternoon. This is accessed from Pythina Rd. on the north side of HWY 12,
across from the east entrance to the Oakmant Active Senior Community.

Some observations we found notable here :

Mountain Quail - several very vocal birds audible along the two mile route
from 800-1600' elevation despite the late hour

Turkey Vulture - a pair of birds landing on a steep cliff and hanging
around at the base of a fallen tree may have been near a nest site

Pileated Woodpecker - very cooperative individual gathering some sort of
larvae (carpenter ant, termite?) from a tree it was working just past the
parking lot/restrooms. A lifer for Megan and an exciting bird to start the
hike.

Olive-sided Flycatcher - singing and calling above the burn just above
parking lot

Chipping Sparrow - a very localized breeder in the Bay Area in recent
years, interesting to note one on Pythian Rd at the entrance to the
Juvenille Correctional Facility Los Gullicos, not far from the burn. This
species is known to move into clear cuts/burns in the Sierra.

Western Tanager - vocal at 1600' near Merganser pond, habitat here looks
good for this species breeding

On the way back to San Francisco as we got on HWY 101 at the Old Redwood
Highway on-ramp in N. Petaluma, Megan spotted a precocial juvenile
Black-necked Stilt accompanying an adult at the season marsh next the
highway.

A full trip list from the two days with related checklists can be seen here:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/229172?view=checklists

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco