Date: 4/29/24 12:46 am
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Weekend Birding 4/27 and 4/28
Hi all,
On Saturday, 4/27, I visited Rancho Canada del Oro OSP, and later the Stile Ranch Trail at Santa Teresa CP. At Rancho Canada del Oro, I found a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE along the creek east of the overflow lot, a GOLDEN EAGLE flying to the north, and a HOUSE WREN, a WARBLING VIREO, and two CASSIN'S VIREOS along the Llagas Creek Loop Trail. The far end of the loop is currently closed, although most of the trail (including most of the section along the creek) are still open. At Stile Ranch, I had a single RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW at the top of the switchbacks, a male LAZULI BUNTING near the parking lot, and a male RUFOUS/ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD in the sage near the top of the switchbacks. In the afternoon, I visited the San Francisquito Creek Mouth to search for the Ruddy Turnstone, but arrived too late and the tide was too high (roughly 4.5 ft according to https://tides.willyweather.com/ca/santa-clara-county/san-francisco-bay--san-francisquito-creek-entrance.html ).
On Sunday, 4/28, I visited the San Francisquito Creek Mouth again. This time, I arrived early enough that the mudflats were still present, and was able to find one RUDDY TURNSTONE in San Mateo County (it never moved into Santa Clara, however). I also had a possible Black Turnstone later on, but my views were fairly distant and I could not confirm the ID. Chris Overington did see one here on April 23. According to https://tides.willyweather.com/ca/santa-clara-county/san-francisco-bay--san-francisquito-creek-entrance.html , the tide was about 3 ft when I first saw the Ruddy Turnstone, and 3.7 ft when I last saw the Black Turnstone candidate. I also visited the Harris's Sparrow stakeout spot near Emily Renzel, and was able to find the HARRIS'S SPARROW foraging along the bike path behind the parking lot. The bird is now fully into breeding plumage, and has a gray face and black crown/forehead/throat.

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28195): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28195
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county