Date: 4/28/24 6:10 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (28 Apr 2024) 4,561 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Short-eared Owl 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 1 2 2

Total: 4561 43648 51768

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 11 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Bridget Watts, Jeremy Pete, Joann Tetlow, Kim Steininger,
Mike Tetlow, Neil Reilly, Pat Martin, Vid Killius

Visitors:
100+, Bird of Prey Days

Weather:
Mostly sunny skies to start the day. Darker clouds moving in mid-morning
with some periods of rain. Moderate southwest winds. Warm.

Raptor Observations:
A huge flight overall. An excellent Sharp-shinned Hawk flight beginning in
the early morning along the lake shore. A big Broad-winged Hawk flight
launched early with some big kettles in the morning before we lost the sun.
A steady flight of sharpies and broad-wings continued to push through the
rest of the day, except during the periods of heaviest rain.

A moderate Turkey Vulture flight with 144. A decent Bald Eagle day with 39.
A strong harrier flight as well with 43. For Accipiters we had 670 sharpies
but only 2 Coops.

We had the Buteo sweep today with 1 juvenile red-shouldered, 3,608
broad-wings, 24 red-tails, 3 light-morph rough-legs, and a light-morph
Swainson's to end the day! Joann Tetlow spotted the Swainson's Hawk over
the marsh near the parkway bridge. Mike Tetlow and I got on the bird with
scopes and got a nice view of the underside confirming the ID. It ended up
perching in the conifers along the parkway near Burger Park and several
birders were able to come out and see it. Eventually it moved and was later
relocated at Burger Park.

We had three immature Golden Eagles with two of them giving us close looks.
We had the falcon trifecta with 13 kestrels, a merlin, and a peregrine.

Overall it was an excellent day, especially with the large number of
visitors for Bird of Prey Days. This was the third highest total so far
this season.

Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
Owl Woods: 2 Eastern Whip-poor-wills, 2 American Woodcocks, Northern
Saw-whet Owl, House Wren, Wood thrush
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170671683
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170671867

Martin Rd fields: 21 Lesser Yellowlegs
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170674261

Braddock Bay West Spit: Eastern Kingbird, Common Yellowthroat.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170688646

Hawk Watch: 2 Chimney Swifts, 7 Solitary Sandpipers, 10 Lesser Yellowlegs,
American Bittern, 6 Green Herons, 3 Great Egrets, Great Crested Flycatcher,
Brown Thrasher, 40+ Lapland Longspurs, White-crowned Sparrow, Palm Warbler,
Yellow-rumped Warbler.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170870885

Burger Park: Ring-necked Pheasant
https://ebird.org/checklist/S170858822

New species for season: Eastern Whip-poor-will, House Wren, Wood Thrush,
Eastern Kingbird, Common Yellowthroat, Solitary Sandpiper, Great Crested
Flycatcher, Ring-necked Pheasant

Predictions:
TOMORROW: Cloudy. High around 50F. Winds ENE at 10-20mph. Expect light
migration.

TUESDAY: Cloudy with occasional showers. High 58F. Winds N at 5-10mph.
Expect light migration.

WEDNESDAY: Intervals of clouds and sun. High 59F. Winds NNW at 5-10mph.
Expect light to moderate migration.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353