Date: 4/28/24 2:49 pm
From: Swanson, David via groups.io <David.Swanson...>
Subject: [sd-birds] 2024 SDOU Collective Big Day
Hi all,

This message is to announce the fourth annual SDOU Collective Big Day. This year, the Collective Big Day will occur on Saturday, May 11, 2023, in conjunction with World Migratory Bird Day. This year, we are going to try something a bit different, as one of the past issues with our Collective Big Day is that people haven't been able to participate on the scheduled date. Thus, for 2024, we're going to allow people to conduct the Big Day on one day over the weekend of Friday, May 10 to Sunday, May 12.

To review, the rules are that you have an entire 24-h period from midnight to midnight on either May 10, 11, or 12, to bird. You can bird anywhere in the state you like, either around where you live or planning a route within South Dakota to target whatever birds you'd like to see. Keep a list of the species that you see (no need to count numbers of individuals, just species) and a list of locations where you birded. When you have your lists compiled, send them to me at <david.swanson...><mailto:<david.swanson...> and I will compile them a put together a summary for South Dakota Bird Notes.

Collectively, we tallied 236 species in 2021, 230 species in 2022, and 209 species in 2023, so let's see if we can beat those numbers this year! For a report of last year's event, please see the article in the Sumeer 2023 issue of South Dakota Bird Notes.

Good birding!

Dave

David Swanson
Department of Biology