Date: 4/26/24 5:19 pm
From: Kimball Garrett via groups.io <cyanolyca818...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Cormorant madness at Marina del Rey
Birders,

What are the chances that the hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of
cormorants that sit on the breakwater at Marina del Rey are nearly all
Brandt's most of the time, but nearly all Double-crested sometimes, and (on
at least one eBird list) nearly all Pelagics??? Close to zero, I imagine.
I would urge observers to either inspect the cormorants on the breakwater
more carefully (a scope is obviously necessary) or to make liberal use of
the "cormorant, sp." option in eBIrd.

For the record, I usually see mainly Brandt's on the breakwater (with a few
Double-cresteds often present, and sometimes some Pelagics), but maybe at
times the species mix changes.

Also, please be on the lookout for nesting activity by cormorants on the
breakwater -- Brandt's nested there last summer, perhaps for the first time.

Kimball Garrett
Juniper Hills, CA (where I never see Brandt's or Pelagic cormorants)

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds/unsub [<lists...>]