Date: 4/26/24 3:58 pm
From: Jonathan Feenstra via groups.io <feenstra...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jay (not chase-able)

Birders:

This morning I saw a Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay in the mesquite woodland on the east side of Edwards Air Force Base. As with most species I've encountered there, it quickly moved north along the line of trees and vanished. This is on a part of the Base without any public access. Previous records for the area have been late fall and winter, but I see one was also observed at Butterbredt Spring not too far away in Kern last week.

Otherwise, it was very birdy even in the wind (mostly in the Kern part). Then the weather deteriorated to something between unbirdable and unbearable. Piute Ponds had thousands of shorebirds on Duckbill, some of which I could see through the blowing dust. If it calms down out there soon, it'll be a good time.

Jon Feenstra
Altadena

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-