Date: 4/26/24 2:45 pm
From: Karenne Snow <njwren46...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] FOY Hummingbird!
Last year, in my new place, I transformed a 10 x 10 "front yard" of gravel
into a perennial bed of (mostly) native plants. I was hoping to encourage
the bees and butterflies and birds, some of whom I heard nearby that spring.

Everything flourished and though I didn't see a wide variety of
butterflies, I did have a good assortment of pollinators on lavender, Joe
pye weed, st John's wort, pentas, hibiscus (that non-native) and some
annuals I was gifted. Then one day in the late summer, a female hummingbird
stopped by! I was so excited! It worked! And finally, the feeder that had
been up for a good long while was being used, too.

Over the winter, I enjoyed the usual feeder and ground birds, plus
bluebirds, yellow rumped warblers, and an oriole at the suet feeder. All
that in the "no man's land" between the pinelands and central Jersey.

Two days ago I finally finished cleaning the bird feeder area and I put up
the hummingbird feeder.

Today, there she was! The only plants blooming right now are iris and
violets and the last of the hyacinth. But she remembered or saw the feeder.
Yay!

Karenne

List Guidelines: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind2107&L=JERSEYBI&P=R685&X=OE8E22FEF3A2B10DFE5
List help: <jerseybi-request...>