Date: 4/26/24 12:34 pm
From: Robert Ross <plumisl...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Ravens In Byfield
Dear All:

For at least the third straight year, there are two very active ravens in
Byfield. One was released 4-5 years ago as a rescue and has remained. The
other is a mate who showed up more recently. Last spring the two nested on
the Byfield water tower.

Another place to look for them is in the mornings behind Pearson's
Hardware, right of I-95. This is located in a small strip mall on Central
Street. There are large wood piles behind the store and the ravens can
often be seen there.

There is a Central Street, Newbury exit from both directions. If you are
driving north, the watertower will be to the left of the exit, the hardware
store will be to the right. If you want to make a day of it, Martin Burns
Wildlife Management Area is close and one of the best places to find
warblers and rarities in the spring, including blue-winged warblers that
nest there every year.

We are fortunate these birds like one of the dead trees in our backyard. We
have resisted cutting it down because they do as do the pileated
woodpeckers. Sooner or later, the woodpeckers are going to undermine the
structure and most of it is going to fall. They've been shredding it for
several years. They are harder to find but they are commonly found down
Larkin Road and into Georgetown on Parish Road. The two roads are
continuous.

Happy Birding!

Robert Ross
<plumisl...>