Date: 4/26/24 10:48 am
From: Will Richardson via groups.io <t.will.richardson...>
Subject: Re: [countybirders] [LakeTahoeBirds] Vermillion Flycatcher, Cove East, S. Lake Tahoe, El Dorado, 4/25
The Vermilion Flycatcher was present again this morning, Friday 4/26. First picked up by Adam Panto and seen by many until heavier snows motivated a mass emigration of birders to work or at least back their cars. I’m not sure what time Adam first found it, but it was showing pretty well, off and on, from around 6:40 to roughly 9. It was moving around quite a bit, so would disappear for 10-20 minutes at a time before reappearing, anywhere between the northernmost pond and the even the edge of the Marina canal. Perhaps due to the inclement weather, it was foraging and perching quite low, but every now and then it would pop up to a higher perch (irrigation sprinkler heads, sign, higher perches in veg, the fence along the path once). The best, closest, and most consistent spot for it was the western edge of the second/middle pond, about here: 38.939247, -120.004371.

I suspect this is a second-year female overshoot.

A Franklin’s Gull flew over at some point as well, surely the same bird reported by Jared Maninen and Geoff Hanlon out on the lake yesterday.

Will Richardson
Truckee, CA
T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
Executive Director