Date: 4/26/24 9:11 am
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: [de-birds] Yard birds in lower Sussex County - the RTHU show of a lifetime
Yesterday morning we were entertained by at least two male ruby-throated
hummingbirds for several hours then a lone female in the afternoon. The
males reminded us of frenzied feeder activity seen previously in Arizona or
New Mexico, but never in Delaware or Pennsylvania.

We very briefly saw four hummers at once, so the two we saw frequently
could have been four or more taking turns at the feeders. In our front
garden we have three robustly blooming azaleas, bright pinkish red, and
some orangish red nasturtiums in pots, plus three sugar water feeders. The
hummers used the flowers and the feeders often with one at a feeder and one
at the flowers. The unique aspect of our observation was that the RTHU
males tolerated each other's presence more than we had ever seen. They
even shared a perch only 6-in apart for very brief periods and did not dive
bomb the other while it fed, at least not all the time. Plus at least one
took a bite from the suet feeder on the same pole as the hummer feeders.

I was wearing a bright, scarlet red T-shirt while I stood next to a window
overlooking the garden. One of the birds tapped the glass trying to get a
better look at the huge red flower it saw through the window.

The show lasted for almost 2 hours. We then went to do an errand when we
returned, the males were gone from the front but a lone female was using
one of the feeders in the backyard.

We have a regular collection of yard birds which includes a flock of up to
a dozen American goldfinches. Today they were accompanied by a lone pine
siskin, not the first one seen this week. Add to the mix two thrahsers, a
towhee, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, white throated and chipping
sparrows, carolina wrens, red-winged blackbirds and a crow -- our feeders
were busy.

The feeder show trumps the incessant news, if you know what I mean.

*better living through birds*
*Rob*
Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run