Date: 4/26/24 8:19 am
From: Wendy Perrone <wendy...>
Subject: Re: Merlin doesn't know the Red-Shouldered Hawk?
We've noticed that Merlin is at best slow to recognize Raptor calls in general, most of the time it ignores them altogether.-Wendy Perrone, Executive Director, Three Rivers Avian Center, Brooks (Hinton) WV. www.tracwv.org.   Sent from my smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Fred Schroyer <ibfreditor...> Date: 4/26/24 12:13 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <WV-BIRD...> Subject: Merlin doesn't know the Red-Shouldered Hawk? Walking at 5 this evening thru a ravine near our home (Waynesburg, PA, justnorth of the WV line), a noisy hawk flew above me and landed in a tallsycamore, frequently calling. It looked to me like a Red-Shouldered, but Iwasn't sure. So I opened the Merlin app for a quick ID. Merlin quicklyidentified the other songsters in the ravine, but ignored the dominantloud-&-clear calls of the hawk! They showed prominently on the sonogram, butMerlin offered no suggestions. I closed the app, reopened it, and triedagain-still nothing. So I went to Youtube, found some Red-Shouldered videos,and played one. The video sounded identical to my hawk's calls, and the birdbecame agitated and responded with calls, obviously reacting to the video.Has anyone else experienced this with Merlin? I can't believe it did notrecognize a common hawk! Fred SchroyerFreelance Writer/Editorial Consultant955 6th StreetWaynesburg, PA <15370ibfreditor...>

Join us on Facebook!