Date: 4/25/24 9:13 pm
From: Fred Schroyer <ibfreditor...>
Subject: Merlin doesn't know the Red-Shouldered Hawk?
Walking at 5 this evening thru a ravine near our home (Waynesburg, PA, just
north of the WV line), a noisy hawk flew above me and landed in a tall
sycamore, frequently calling. It looked to me like a Red-Shouldered, but I
wasn't sure. So I opened the Merlin app for a quick ID. Merlin quickly
identified the other songsters in the ravine, but ignored the dominant
loud-&-clear calls of the hawk! They showed prominently on the sonogram, but
Merlin offered no suggestions. I closed the app, reopened it, and tried
again-still nothing. So I went to Youtube, found some Red-Shouldered videos,
and played one. The video sounded identical to my hawk's calls, and the bird
became agitated and responded with calls, obviously reacting to the video.
Has anyone else experienced this with Merlin? I can't believe it did not
recognize a common hawk!

Fred Schroyer

Freelance Writer/Editorial Consultant

955 6th Street