Date: 4/25/24 6:18 pm
From: Peter Metropulos via groups.io <pjmetrop...>
Subject: [pen-bird] ROYAL TERN at Bean Hollow State Beach
Yesterday(April 24) I entertained myself by aiming my scope at the ocean from Bean Hollow State Beach, 8AM until 2PM, to witness the spectacle of Spring seabird migration.Mother Nature made things difficult for me though, throwing southerly breezes, heavy overcast and haze, my way. Many birds(especially loons) were streaming past too far out to identify. The highlight of my seawatch came in the form of a ROYAL TERN which appeared at 8:30, leisurely winging its way north just beyond the beach. There were a few ELEGANT TERNS available for direct comparison. The ROYAL was definitely less "elegant" in proportions so I initially thought it was a Caspian. ROYAL TERNS are regular as far north as Morro Bay but there have been a number of sightings recently up in our area so birders should study up on terns and keep their scopes handy.
Also, of interest here.....
LOONS:   They were zooming northward at a constant pace but many too far out to identify so I satisfied myself with dealing with it as "loon species.                 My total was 6,840 with an average of 19 per minute.
BROWN PELICAN:   Total of 553 heading north.
BRANT:    28 flying north.
SURF SCOTER:  Total of 981, mostly in afternoon.
HEERMANN'S GULL: One (imm.) flying north.
CASPIAN TERN:  4 northbound migrants.
ROYAL TERN:   One well-studied, flying up the coast.
ELEGANT TERN:   4 heading north and a few more feeding offshore.
MARBLED MURRELET:   A pair moving south, close to shore.

Later in the afternoon I stopped at Harley Farms in PESCADERO to give the pond a look. And up flushed a WILSON'S SNIPE.

Peter J.Metropulos