Date: 4/25/24 8:38 am
From: Shilo McDonald <smcdonald...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] TODAY at 7 PM
Posted with permission of the moderator.

It didn't take long into birding, before I began to recognize certain
birds liked certain plants. And so I started taking note.

Studying some of my favorite birding hot spots (Plum Island, Nahant
Thicket, Marblehead Neck, Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary), I found
many plants in common. And noticed - regardless of the location - the
same bird species could be found in the same plants.

To find Cedar Waxwings, Northern Mockingbirds and Baltimore Orioles, I
had to look no further than Highbush Blueberry, Black Chokeberry, and
Winterberry bushes.

To find warblers (of just about every kind), I just had to point my
bins at Serviceberry, Birch, and Oak trees (of just about every kind).

And to find sparrows, well, many are happy walking about within native
ironweed, milkweed, sweetfern and asters.

So then, having learned all this, what did I do? Well, I added ALL of
the above plants (and then some!) to my yard. But, don't just take my
word for it, see for yourself, on Zoom today at 7 PM, a free webinar
compliments of the Waltham Land Trust: http://www.walthamlandtrust.org

Come see what happens when native plants get added to a typical grass lawn.

Good birding, good bugging and good planting!
Shilo McDonald
Lynn, Massachusetts
<SMcDonald...>

Join us on Facebook!