Date: 4/24/24 3:59 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] San Ramon/Danville area Earth Day weekend birds and a new hotspot/birding site
On 4/22 Megan and I explored a new portion of Las Trampas Regional
Wilderness hiking up from Remington Loop in southwest Danville. This is the
quickest way to get to the east side of Trampas ridge and allows one access
to some ephemeral ponds with great potential (solitary sand. etc)

of note here:

Violet-green Swallows - exploring roof soffit vents for nest site in house
at Remington Loop trailhead

Savannah Sparrow - this species not known to nest in the interior
grasslands of the county, likely a lingering wintering bird

Rufous-crowned Sparrow - calling in rocky sage scrub patch in the middle of
the grassland above the main pond, el ~1100'(330m), first time I've noted
this species on Trampas ridge but they most certainly as regular in spots
as they are on Rocky Ridge

Later that morning I checked the South portion of Sycamore Valley Open
Space Preserve between Tassajara and Crow Canyon Roads on the border of
Danville and San Ramon. This site is accessed off Northview Ct. via
Woodranch Rd./Cir.

Fun observations here:

Golden Eagle - fly-over adult

Northern Harrier - male, a california species of special concern, perhaps
nesting here which would be notable considering all the appropriate habitat
lost to development in this part of the county

Say's Phoebe - adult attending three recently fledged juveniles at
trailhead corral/Northview Ct.

Grasshopper Sparrow - a minimum count of 5 singing males +1 (apparent pair)

Savannah Sparrow - 3+ presumably lingering winter birds/migrants,

White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's) - on ridge, obvious migrant

Western Meadowlark - 4+ including a breeding confirmation via a a food
carrying adult flying into a grass thicket

In the late afternoon I paid a visit to the Canyon Lakes Golf
Course/subdivision. Among the fun sightings here were :

Rufous Hummingbirds - male and female, obvious migrants fighting for
feeding spots in blooming eukes along east edge of course just south of the
solar panel array

Lesser Goldfinch - a first of season fledgling in redwood row near
entrance along Crow Canyon.

A full trip list with checklists can be seen here:
https://ebird.org/tripreport/225287

Happy spring,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco