Date: 4/24/24 12:41 pm
From: Margaret Berglund <mmberglund...>
Subject: Bluebird next box abandoned?
Is it common to have a bluebird nest abandoned after eggs were laid?

My box was new last year. Birds moved in and hatched one clutch of four last year.

This year they had five eggs laid by March 30th. But now it seems abandoned. Eggs are still there, but none have hatched. It does look as if new material may be added on top of the last clutch.

Last year, the pair that occupied the box were very evident, I would see them flying too and fro, etc. This year that's how they were at first, but then I stopped seeing them.

I'm not sure what is going on. Did the first pair die? Abandon the nest? Is a new pair moving in or is the original pair starting over? It looks to be the same type of materials, not a different species bringing materials in.

I'm tempted to clean it out. Could there be something making them sick?

I'm interested to hear thoughts from folks that are more experienced.

Cheers,
Maggie Maginness
573-355-7462
<mmberglund...><mailto:<mmberglund...>

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!