Date: 4/24/24 10:11 am
From: <jim.berry3...> <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Boone Park, Ipswich Town Wharf, and Kamon Farm, Apr 24, 2024
I'm forwarding 3 lists from this morning.  Lotsa good birds around.  Miles made the lists and they now go directly into my ebird account.  (I was alone on the 3rd list.)    Jim

Daniel Boone Park and Highland Cemetery, Ipswich
Apr 24, 2024 7:30 AM - 8:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    I met up with Jim Berry, Sue McGrath, Nancy Smith and MaryMargaret Halsey for a walk here. We looped the pond and found most of our birds west of Baker's Pond.
29 species

Mourning Dove  1
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Snowy Egret  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern)  3
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern)  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1    called once towards Baker's Pond on our way out
Great Crested Flycatcher  1    'wheep' calls heard twice then seen in canopy by water tower; Myiarchus flycatcher with rusty tail and yellow underparts
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  7
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  6
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)  4
Carolina Wren  3
American Robin  5    nest building on small building by water towers
House Finch  4
Purple Finch (Eastern)  2    female-types; singing      [I saw 4 PUFIs together at one point -- jb]
American Goldfinch  2
Chipping Sparrow  4
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  1
White-throated Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica)  3
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged)  1
Brown-headed Cowbird  4
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  12
Pine Warbler  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  22
Northern Cardinal  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S170070436

Ipswich Town Wharf
Apr 24, 2024 9:10 AM - 9:19 AM
Protocol: Stationary
20 species

Canada Goose  1
Herring Gull (American)  2
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Turkey Vulture  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern)  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  3
Tufted Titmouse  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Carolina Wren  1
European Starling  2
American Robin  1
House Sparrow  1
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  2
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged)  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S170068240

Kamon Farm Conservation Area (ECGA), Essex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 24, 2024 9:40 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    I returned to the site of the garganey and assured myself that it was no longer there--apparently a one- (two-?) day wonder.  Ditto for the blue-winged teal pair.  However, I saw and heard many more species than I did the other evening, the star of which was an adult male wood duck.  If he is mated, the pair may be nesting nearby.
15 species

Canada Goose  2    pair, prob nesting at edge of wetland
Wood Duck  1    drake
Green-winged Teal (American)  2    ongoing pair
Great Egret  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  4    2 heard only; 2 others seen but too distantly to discern underwing color.
Blue Jay  1
Tufted Titmouse  3
Carolina Wren  1    singing
American Robin  3
Song Sparrow  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Red-winged Blackbird  20    minimum number--all males
Northern Cardinal  3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S170096659