Date: 4/24/24 12:22 am
From: Lance Benner via groups.io <lbenner...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] America's Birdiest County Details: April 26-28
Hi Everyone,

Here's additional information about the "America's Birdiest County"
event that will happen in Los Angeles County on April 26-28, 2024.

The count starts at midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning and ends
at midnight on Sunday night/Monday morning.

The objective is to find as many species in Los Angeles County over
this three day interval as possible. We've been doing this since 2003
and regularly find more than 260 species.

Birds can be identified by sight or sound, and as usual, rare species
require documentation. All birds must be counted from land, so we
can't accept anything seen on a whale watch, or from a boat on a lake,
but we'd be glad to count any birds seen from Santa Catalina and San
Clemente Islands or from seawatches at places such as Point Vicente
and Point Dume.

I will act as compiler again this year.

HISTORY

America's Birdiest County started in 2003 in San Diego as a friendly
competition among counties across the country to see how many species
people could find in a single 24-hour period.

After the first three years, the organizers changed the protocol to
make it a three-day event. There were also various categories across
the country to try to level the playing field so that counties in very
different areas wouldn't be competing against those in other areas
that have vastly more birds. Thus, counties in, say, Maine weren't
competing against counties in California. Los Angeles was in the
"Coastal West" category and our chief competition, at least initially,
was with San Diego and Monterey. After the format changed to a
three-day event, Monterey stopped competing in order to continue their
traditional one-day county-wide birdathon. After 2011, the organizers
discontinued the nationwide event, but selected counties continued due
to strong local interest. Los Angeles and Kern Counties, which usually
did very well, both continued.

Here are the number of species found in Los Angeles County since 2003:

Year Total

2023 268

2022 265

2021 277

2020 No count due to covid 19

2019 257

2018 263

2017 264

2016 270

2015 275

2014 272

2013 265

2012 262

2011 277

2010 271

2009 264

2008 255

2007 272

2006 265

2005 246

2004 240

2003 239

Our total jumped in 2006 due to better organization and increased
interest.

This event has turned into an intensive sweep of the whole county each
spring and has provided a useful snapshot of the species that are
present in late April. Many people who participate also record their
observations in eBird, and as a result, tens of thousands of bird
sightings are permanently archived, so in addition to having fun,
we're also making a scientifically useful contribution.

######################################

LOGISTICS

Please email reports to me at <lbenner...> and/or to the LA
County listserve. (<lacobirds...>)

We welcome you to send ebird lists: the easiest way is to email eBird
lists to your self and then forward them to me: This makes checking
for new species really easy. We prefer that you * NOT * share the
eBird lists with me unless I happened to be with you.

I will provide updates two to four times each day to track our
progress and to help guide searches for species we're missing. The
first update will probably happen by mid afternoon on Friday. We will
also provide updates each night so that we everyone can see what we
still need first thing in the morning.

We welcome reports on the county listserve all weekend regardless of
what you see: the species do not have to be rare.

I'm not on the WhatsApp group so if you post there I won' see it.

Please note that we can't count birds seen from boats, but birds seen
from Santa Catalina and San Clemente Island count.

The Gambel's quail and chukars on San Clemente Island are
self-sustaining so we can count them. Ao continue the protocol we
adopted a few years ago, we are now glad to count bald eagles seen
from Santa Catalina and San Clemente Islands.

######################################

NON-NATIVE SPECIES:

Kimball Garrett asks us to please report established non-native
species even if they're not the list that's accepted by the AOS or the
CBRC.

This means that we want to hear about introduced species such as
parakeets and parrots, pin-tailed whydahs, orange bishops, white-eyes,
Egyptian goose, Mandarin ducks, and so forth. Monitoring those
populations is becoming increasingly important so please report them,
and, of course, enter your sightings into eBird.

We'll keep them in a supplemental list separate from the "regular"
species.

######################################

RARE SPECIES

There have been a number of rare species in the county recently.
Here's an abbreviated list of some reported in the last week or so:

Long-tailed Duck

Common Goldeneye

Red-necked Grebe

White-winged Dove

Common Murre

Franklin's Gull

Yellow-footed Gull

Neotropic Cormorant

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Swallow-tailed Kite

Thick-billed Kingbird

Plumbeous Vireo

Brown Thrasher

Clay-colored Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Orchard Oriole

American Redstart

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak

This is a partial list: I haven't had time yet to go through all the
rarities found in the county recentl and I know there are more.

The Yellow-footed gull and Swallow-tailed Kite would be new for the
count and was reported through April 23. The kite may have been a
one-day wonder: It was photographed on April 22 but we don't know if
it's still in the area.

As always, anything flagged as "rare" in eBird is going to require
documentation, so please take photos, jot down notes, obtain
recordings and videos, or make sketches.

Please remember that your cell phone probably has an app that allows
you to record sounds. They're quite sensitive and can be good for
documetation.

######################################

SPECIES PREVIOUSLY RECORDED

Below is the list of every species we've found during previous ABC
weekends.

There are some species that we get regularly that are actually quite
local and require special effort to find and/or that are just leaving
or arriving at this time of year . Among them, in no particular order,
are prairie falcon, American dipper, common ground-dove, Inca dove,
spotted owl, northern saw-whet owl, northern pygmy owl, flammulated
owl, burrowing owl, golden-crowned kinglet, LeConte's thrasher,
Williamson's sapsucker, red crossbill, Swainson's hawk, common
merganser, hooded merganser, summer tanager, golden eagle, and
wandering tattler.

We often struggle to find pelagic species; alcids are particularly
difficult.

The table below lists every species we've recorded during the ABC
weekend since 2004 and the number of years in which we've found it.
Note that this list isn't strictly in taxonomic order; we'll try to
correct that by next year (which I also said last year...).

N = number of years we've found a species from 2004-present

N SPECIES

15 Snow Goose

19 Ross's Goose

18 Greater White-fronted Goose

01 Tundra Bean-Goose NEW

17 Brant

17 Cackling Goose

19 Canada Goose

17 Wood Duck

19 Blue-winged Teal

19 Cinnamon Teal

19 Northern Shoveler

19 Gadwall

19 American Wigeon

19 Mallard

17 Northern Pintail

19 Green-winged Teal

04 Canvasback

19 Redhead

19 Ring-necked Duck

02 Greater Scaup

19 Lesser Scaup

19 Surf Scoter

03 White-winged Scoter

04 Black Scoter

03 Long-tailed Duck

19 Bufflehead

03 Common Goldeneye

11 Hooded Merganser

16 Common Merganser

18 Red-breasted Merganser

19 Ruddy Duck

19 Mountain Quail

19 California Quail

14 Gambel's Quail

14 Chukar

19 Pied-billed Grebe

11 Horned Grebe

19 Eared Grebe

19 Western Grebe

19 Clark's Grebe

19 Rock Pigeon

19 Band-tailed Pigeon

18 Eurasian Collared-Dove

19 Spotted Dove

14 Inca Dove

15 Common Ground-Dove

03 White-winged Dove

19 Mourning Dove

19 Greater Roadrunner

19 Lesser Nighthawk

19 Common Poorwill

19 Vaux's Swift

19 White-throated Swift

19 Black-chinned Hummingbird

19 Anna's Hummingbird

19 Costa's Hummingbird

19 Rufous Hummingbird

19 Allen's Hummingbird

14 Calliope Hummingbird

01 Ridgeway's Rail

18 Virginia Rail

19 Sora

19 Common Gallinule

19 American Coot

01 Sandhill Crane

19 Black-necked Stilt

19 American Avocet

19 Black Oystercatcher

19 Black-bellied Plover

04 Pacific Golden-Plover

19 Snowy Plover

19 Semipalmated Plover

19 Killdeer

19 Whimbrel

18 Long-billed Curlew

19 Marbled Godwit

18 Ruddy Turnstone * We missed this last year *

18 Black Turnstone

02 Red Knot

19 Surfbird

01 Ruff

01 Stilt Sandpiper

19 Sanderling

19 Dunlin

04 Baird's Sandpiper

19 Least Sandpiper

01 Pectoral Sandpiper

02 Semipalmated Sandpiper

19 Western Sandpiper

15 Short-billed Dowitcher

19 Long-billed Dowitcher

13 Wilson's Snipe

14 Wilson's Phalarope

18 Red-necked Phalarope

03 Red Phalarope

19 Spotted Sandpiper

15 Solitary Sandpiper

19 Wandering Tattler

19 Greater Yellowlegs

19 Willet

18 Lesser Yellowlegs

07 Pomarine Jaeger

10 Parasitic Jaeger

06 Common Murre

04 Scripps' Murrelet

02 Cassin's Auklet

03 Rhinoceros Auklet

01 Sabine's Gull

19 Bonaparte's Gull

01 Laughing Gull

10 Franklin's Gull

18 Heermann's Gull

02 Short-billed Gull

19 Ring-billed Gull

19 Western Gull

19 California Gull

17 Herring Gull

02 Iceland Gull (Thayer's Gull)

02 Lesser Black-backed gull

18 Glaucous-winged Gull

01 Glaucous Gull

18 Least Tern

19 Caspian Tern

05 Black Tern

01 Common Tern

19 Forster's Tern

19 Royal Tern

19 Elegant Tern

19 Black Skimmer

19 Red-throated Loon

19 Pacific Loon

19 Common Loon

01 Yellow-billed Loon

01 Black-footed albatross

01 Leach's Storm-petrel

03 Northern Fulmar

13 Pink-footed Shearwater

18 Sooty Shearwater

08 Black-vented Shearwater

01 Red-footed Booby NEW

19 Brandt's Cormorant

19 Pelagic Cormorant

04 Neotropic Cormorant

19 Double-crested Cormorant

18 American White Pelican

19 Brown Pelican

04 American Bittern

18 Least Bittern

19 Great Blue Heron

19 Great Egret

19 Snowy Egret

16 Western Cattle Egret Formerly "Cattle Egret"

19 Green Heron

18 Black-crowned Night-Heron

06 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

19 White-faced Ibis

01 California Condor

19 Turkey Vulture

19 Osprey

18 White-tailed Kite

17 Golden Eagle

18 Northern Harrier

18 Sharp-shinned Hawk

19 Cooper's Hawk

07 Bald Eagle

19 Red-shouldered Hawk

18 Swainson's Hawk

01 Zone-tailed Hawk

19 Red-tailed Hawk

04 Ferruginous Hawk

19 Barn Owl

12 Flammulated Owl

19 Western Screech-Owl

19 Great Horned Owl

17 Northern Pygmy-Owl

14 Burrowing Owl

16 Spotted Owl

06 Long-eared Owl

16 Northern Saw-whet Owl

19 Belted Kingfisher

14 Lewis's Woodpecker

19 Acorn Woodpecker

15 Williamson's Sapsucker

01 Red-naped Sapsucker

19 Red-breasted Sapsucker

16 Ladder-backed Woodpecker

19 Nuttall's Woodpecker

19 Downy Woodpecker

19 Hairy Woodpecker

19 White-headed Woodpecker

19 Northern Flicker

01 Crested Caracara

19 American Kestrel

16 Merlin

19 Peregrine Falcon

17 Prairie Falcon

01 Nanday Parakeet 2023 was the first year we could count it

02 Mitred Parakeet: 2022 was the first year we could count it

01 Red-masked Parakeet 2023 was the first year we could count it

03 Yellow-chevroned Parakeet. 2021 was the first year we could count
it

19 Red-crowned Parrot

02 Lilac-crowned Parrot: 2022 was the first year we could count it.

19 Olive-sided Flycatcher

19 Western Wood-Pewee

01 Least Flycatcher

19 Hammond's Flycatcher

19 Gray Flycatcher

19 Dusky Flycatcher

19 Western Flycatcher Formerly Pacific-slope Flycatcher

19 Black Phoebe

19 Say's Phoebe

10 Vermilion Flycatcher

04 Dusky-capped Flycatcher

19 Ash-throated Flycatcher

08 Tropical Kingbird

19 Cassin's Kingbird

02 Thick-billed Kingbird

19 Western Kingbird

19 Bell's Vireo

19 Hutton's Vireo

19 Cassin's Vireo

11 Plumbeous Vireo

19 Warbling Vireo

19 Loggerhead Shrike

19 Steller's Jay

19 California Scrub-Jay

16 Clark's Nutcracker

19 American Crow

19 Common Raven

19 Mountain Chickadee

19 Oak Titmouse

18 Verdin

19 Horned Lark

19 Northern Rough-winged Swallow

09 Purple Martin

19 Tree Swallow

19 Violet-green Swallow

17 Bank Swallow

19 Barn Swallow

19 Cliff Swallow

03 Red-whiskered Bulbul. 2021 was the first year we could count it.

19 Bushtit

19 Wrentit

19 Ruby-crowned Kinglet

09 Golden-crowned Kinglet

19 Red-breasted Nuthatch

19 White-breasted Nuthatch

19 Pygmy Nuthatch

19 Brown Creeper

19 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

19 California Gnatcatcher

19 Rock Wren

19 Canyon Wren

19 House Wren

19 Marsh Wren

19 Bewick's Wren

19 Cactus Wren

13 American Dipper

19 European Starling

19 California Thrasher

13 LeConte's Thrasher

19 Northern Mockingbird

19 Western Bluebird

01 Mountain Bluebird

16 Townsend's Solitaire

19 Swainson's Thrush

19 Hermit Thrush

19 American Robin

01 Varied Thrush

19 Cedar Waxwing

19 Phainopepla

09 Scaly-Breasted Munia

19 House Sparrow

01 Red-throated Pipit

19 American Pipit

01 Evening Grosbeak

19 House Finch

19 Purple Finch

19 Cassin's Finch

13 Red Crossbill

15 Pine Siskin

19 Lesser Goldfinch

19 Lawrence's Goldfinch

19 American Goldfinch

04 Grasshopper Sparrow

19 Chipping Sparrow

03 Clay-colored Sparrow

19 Black-chinned Sparrow

01 Field Sparrow

15 Brewer's Sparrow

19 Black-throated Sparrow

18 Lark Sparrow

19 Fox Sparrow

19 Dark-eyed Junco

19 White-crowned Sparrow

19 Golden-crowned Sparrow

03 Harris' Sparrow

14 White-throated Sparrow

19 Bell's Sparrow

03 Vesper Sparrow

19 Savannah Sparrow

19 Song Sparrow

17 Lincoln's Sparrow

02 Swamp Sparrow

19 California Towhee

19 Rufous-crowned Sparrow

19 Green-tailed Towhee

19 Spotted Towhee

19 Yellow-breasted Chat

19 Yellow-headed Blackbird

19 Western Meadowlark

03 Orchard Oriole

19 Hooded Oriole

19 Bullock's Oriole

01 Baltimore Oriole

19 Scott's Oriole

19 Red-winged Blackbird

19 Tricolored Blackbird

19 Brown-headed Cowbird

19 Brewer's Blackbird

19 Great-tailed Grackle

02 Northern Waterthrush

05 Black-and-white Warbler

01 Tennessee Warbler

19 Orange-crowned Warbler

19 Nashville Warbler

19 MacGillivray's Warbler

19 Common Yellowthroat

01 Hooded Warbler

02 American Redstart

03 Northern Parula

19 Yellow Warbler

01 Chestnut-sided Warbler

11 Palm Warbler

19 Yellow-rumped Warbler

19 Black-throated Gray Warbler

19 Townsend's Warbler

19 Hermit Warbler

19 Wilson's Warbler

01 Red-faced Warbler

01 Painted Redstart

07 Summer Tanager

19 Western Tanager

19 Black-headed Grosbeak

19 Blue Grosbeak

19 Lazuli Bunting

02 Indigo Bunting

Total: 348 species

We added four new species in 2023:

Tundra Bean-Goose

Red-footed Booby

Nanday Parakeet Introduced: recently accepted by the CBRC

Red-masked Parakeet Introduced: recently accepted by the CBRC

Removed: black swift and willow flycatcher because we think those
reports were in error. If you think you found them, be prepared to
provide outstanding documentation!

Please start thinking of where you might be able to contribute, and we
look forward to hearing from you on April 26, 27, and 28!

Best wishes,

Lance Benner

Lance Benner

Altadena, CA

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#4157) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Join us on Facebook!