Date: 4/23/24 4:50 pm
From: Bridget Gardner via groups.io <behgardner2445...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon at Bolsa Chica
Not sure if I should post this here, but don’t know who to ask about this bird.

At the walking bridge near the Bolsa Chica Interpretive Center on Warner Ave., I watched a loon swimming. After a few minutes it came to the beach-like area on the west side of the inlet and pulled itself up onto the shore about 7-10 feet and began preening. This seems like odd behavior for a loon. I watched it for about half an hour, and it did not show signs of distress, seemed undisturbed by people walking by, and showed no signs of leaving. Is this normal or should I report this bird to someone?

Thanks,
Bridget Gardner
Los Alamitos