Date: 4/22/24 4:45 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (22 Apr 2024) 303 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Short-eared Owl 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 303 32741 40861

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Jess Cosentino, Kim Steninger, Vid Killius

Visitors:
8

Weather:
Started at Braddock Bay Park where it was mostly sunny with some cumulus
clouds off to the west with moderate northeasterly winds.

I moved to Frisbee Hill at 8:30am EST where it continued to be mostly sunny
for a few hours before clearing to completely blue skies. The wind shifted
from northeast to north.

I returned to Braddock Bay Park at 2pm EST for the final two hours of the
count.

Raptor Observations:
I started at Braddock Bay Park to see where the flight line developed and
had one Sharp-shinned Hawk and saw a few Turkey Vultures and Broad-winged
Hawks in past the parkway. Since the wind was from the northeast I followed
protocol and moved to Frisbee Hill where a moderate flight picked up in the
midday with a steady line of vultures out towards the parkway and small
groups of broad-wings high overhead. Two Golden Eagles were flying very
high and a short time later a third was seen.

The weather changed slightly with all of the clouds disappearing and a
subtle change in the winds, perhaps from northeast to straight north. When
that happened the flight suddenly shut down with no more high broad-wings
and only a few Turkey Vultures being seen.

After an hour of empty skies I decided to move back to the platform to see
if there was a flight. Shortly after I arrived I noticed a group of around
30 Turkey Vultures over the west spit. Another similar sized group followed
shortly after, plus some scattered individuals. After that the flight ended
and few migrants were seen in the last hour.

Notable totals of the day included 197 Turkey Vultures, 79 Broad-winged
Hawks, and 3 Golden Eagles.

Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
West Spit: 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Palm Warbler.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169770185

Owl Woods: 16 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 10 Golden-crowned Kinglets, 3 Brown
Creepers, 2 Winter Wrens, 4 Hermit Thrushes.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169776554

Braddock Bay Park: Winter Wren, 2 Marsh Wrens
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169785353

Frisbee Hill: Killdeer, Common Raven, Hermit Thrush.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169835124

Hawk Watch Platform: Great Egret
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169854385

Predictions:
TOMORROW: POSSIBLE BIG DAY. Cloudy with rain later in the day. High 63F.
Winds SW at 10-20mph. Great conditions with favorable winds all day that
should be strong enough to hold off a lake breeze. A bit of sun in the
morning will help to get the hawks up. We are still in peak Broad-winged
Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk migration and all signs point to it being a
good flight! The flight should be more steady instead of the single huge
push we had last Friday. My only concern would be thickening cloud cover in
the afternoon ahead of the rain that could slow the flight as it gets
gloomier. If the winds end up being lighter than forecast a lake breeze is
also possible. Expect moderate to good migration.

WEDNESDAY: Rain and snow showers in the morning becoming partly cloudy.
High 48F. Winds NNW at 10-20mph. Expect minimal migration.

THURSDAY: Mainly sunny. High 43F. Winds NE at 5-10mph. Expect light to
moderate migration. Count may move to Frisbee Hill.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353