Date: 4/22/24 3:29 pm
From: Jennifer E Wolf <jenwolf...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Scarlet Tanager and Cedar Waxwings - Winterville, Clarke County
My first sighting of a Scarlet Tanager since I moved to Georgia nearly twenty years ago! A solitary male in his beautiful red breeding plumage, looking for a meal in a nearby maple tree. I didn't have binocs on me at the time but he was so close I didn't need them. He hung around for several minutes. I looked for a female but didn't spot her. I'm always on the alert in Spring before the tree canopy fills completely in. Tell me, North Georgia birders, are they a little bit rare here or have I just been unlucky?

I was also rewarded this morning with a small flock of cedar waxwings who'd dropped in to chow down on my Mahonia berries. The waxwings are more common in the neighborhood but it's always a treat to watch their flighty antics.

Happy birding, everyone!
--Jen Wolf
Winterville, Clarke County

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>