Date: 4/22/24 2:20 pm
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ & SEAZ: Yuma County & Mt. Lemmon
External Email

Greetings Birders,

Spot Road Farm, east of Dateland at the edge of Yuma County, continues to be a fine place to look for rarities and migrants. On Apr 15 Colby Neuman discovered an AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, and it remained there at least until the following day, when I photographed it. Other nice birds found on that day included my FOS SOLITARY SANDPIPER, VAUX'S SWIFT, and MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER. Over the weekend I made two more stops there on my way to and from Tucson, adding more FOS targets: LAZULI BUNTING, BLUE GROSBEAK, and yesterday afternoon, a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER (bird #200 for Yuma County in 2024). Compared to a cool Mt. Lemmon, Spot Road Farm is not quite so much fun birding in 98-degree weather!
The Solar Pond, some five miles west of Wellton, is again proving to be a worthwhile birding destination. On Apr 19 I had seven species of waterfowl, including 5 GREATER SCAUP. Shorebirds were well represented, including some 300 LEAST & WESTERN SANDPIPERS.
On the morning of Sunday, Apr 21, I spent a few hours up on Mt. Lemmon. In Willow Canyon I was surrounded by a legion of avian delights. RED-FACED, OLIVE, GRACE'S, TOWNSEND'S, YELLOW-RUMPED, and BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS were snapping up bugs and singing. The OLIVE and RED-FACED WARBLERS were especially vocal and amorous. In the distance I could head a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL, a BAND-TAILED PIGEON, and a GREATER PEWEE. During my next stop at the head of the Palisade Trail I added a late CASSIN'S FINCH and a flock of PYGMY NUTHATCHES, and saw more of the same mountain warblers. As I made my way back down the mountain the long line of cars and bikes snaking their way uphill reminded me of just how popular this location gets on weekends.
Closer to home, the GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continues at the Yuma East Wetlands, and the BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER is still happily feeding at the Yuma West Wetlands.
A few eBird reports with photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S169709690https://ebird.org/checklist/S169295066https://ebird.org/checklist/S168775808
Good Birding!Henry D. DetwilerYuma, AZ
Finding Birds in Southwest Arizonahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_SWAZ_Book.htmFinding Birds at the Salton Sea and in Imperial County, Californiahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_Imperial_County_Book.htm